Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wonder of Nature or Pure Coincidence?

Around three weeks back I remembered that while cooking I had a small accident. By misfortune I let one package of TRS Brown Mustard seeds fell right into the floor. Half got wasted leaving behind mustard seeds all over the kitchen. I rushed to clean the floor with a broom and a dustpan. I was feeling really sad about the wastage and was not capable to throw the seeds right into the garbage. Since my childhood I have been thought that food should never be thrown given that food should be considered as sacred. I asked to my self and now where do I throw it?

Mom has always been keen of planting some flowers once the spring and summer starts to arrive. So I saw a pot with very beautiful red flowers. I didn’t give any thought and threw the mustard seeds and all possible dust that I collected from the kitchen floor into the flower pot… (I know it sounds weird but I did so). On Monday this week, my mother called my attention asking where does that strange couch grass is coming from. I then recalled that I had thrown some seeds into the pot.

How wonderful is our mother nature I thought while seeing the little baby plants coming out of the earth. I have been observing their growth in the last couple of days and I have also taken some photos that I would love to share.

Brown Mustard – Plant Information

-Latin name: Brassica nigra

-Category: Dicot

-General Type: Forb/herb

-Growth Duration: Annual

-Plant Nativity: it is believed to be native to the southern Mediterranean region of Europe.

Why do I use black mustard seeds as a spice?

The brown mustard seeds are used in Indian cuisine to get the 'masaledar' taste. (Please note that the word masaledar is a combination of the word ‘masala’ coming from Hindi & Urdu meaning a varying blend of spices).

How to use brown mustard seeds to give dishes a distinguishing taste and flavour?

Just throw the seeds into hot oil and let them pop.

Disadvantages on mustard seeds?

The seeds have a significant amount of fatty oil plus the oil you use making it a Calorie Bomb.

Flavour like of mustard seeds?

I tried eating them without roasting them in oil. The taste is a bit nutty flavour and like the normal mustard or honey mustard used for hotdogs, etc.

One last thing, about the common mustard you find in any shop and you use for your hotdogs and sausages. Whenever you feel you have fever you can apply two spoons of it on the backside of both of your knees. Proceed with tidying it with some piece of cloth and stay with it for half an hour. It will really help…

Now I go back to a pile of books I have to read (not really feeling very enthusiastic about that, but…) I leave you with a quote of Frank Lloyd Wright:

“Study nature, love nature, and stay close to nature. It will never fail you.”


The 'culprit' package

Brown Mustard Seeds


The weird 'Couch Grass'

Simply 'nature'

2 comments: