Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bharatanatyam performed on the roadside…


Following up with my quest for Bharatanatyam I’ve been reading all possible online material and watching tons of videos. And that’s how I came across with a video which caught my attention, not only because of the wonderful dancer performing Bharatanatyam items but also because of the unusual stage in which she was performing. Please watch Alarippu performed by Jai Khalsa among other videos.
In my earlier post I introduced some facts about Bharatanatyam; I would like to recall some basics about this ‘devotional temple dance’. Bharatanatyam is one of the oldest forms of Indian classical dance and exists since over 2000 years. This art was nurtured by wonderful women called Devadasis, they offered their music and dance as a form of worship to God. 
Coming back to the topic of this post, I got pretty much inspired when I saw ‘Jai Khalsa’ doing a live performance on the roadside. I applaud her expressions and agility as a dancer and moreover I applaud her for having carried out a spiritual form of dance in such I would say ‘materialistic space’. 
‘Jai Khalsa’ dances with a high degree of devotion, she masters movement and expressions quite good and I definitely like the way she presents herself to the public. @ Jai: Keep up that confidence!
After having watched all her posted videos, I contacted Jai and bombarded her with a bulk of questions. She was very kind in sending me some songs allowing me to start practicing. However, I must confess that I am still working on how to walk with Ghunghroo **smiles**. 
During some email exchange I asked Jai whether I could write about her in one of my posts and she agreed. If you are interested in knowing more about her you can go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment